When any design house uses embellishment in every collection, they become a firm Magpie favourite. Enter Dolce and Gabbana. The Italian designers are known for their heavy embroidery and beadwork, cementing their status as one of the world’s most luxurious brands. Of course, luxury invites elitism; in order to own a piece of D&G perfection, one must possess a hefty fortune. As it happens, I do not, so when I saw these Vally pumps grace the runway, I knew they would be perfect DIY fodder. Read through to discover how to add a high-end piece to your high-street wardrobe…
What you will need:
- A pair of black ankle-length stockings (mine were from Primark; no product link available)
- Assorted black gems (I used these and these)
- Fabric glue
- Begin by preparing a small square of tinfoil onto which to pour some fabric glue (fabric glue dries quickly, so you will have to top your glue supply up throughout the tutorial). Leave the glue for 15-20 seconds to go tacky (as you would if you were applying false eyelashes). Use your tweezers to pick up the gems and lightly coat the back in glue.
2. To pull the material taut and prevent the fabric glue from bonding to the other side of the stocking, cut a length of cardboard which is slightly wider than the stockings. Insert this into the stocking, being careful not to cause any ladders. Using the marquise-shaped gems, create four flower motifs along the stocking.
3. Next, use the smaller gems to connect the flower motifs. Once these are connected, you can balance out the design by adding single gems for leaves, and curlicue vines.
4. Wait for the glue to dry and gently prise the stocking off the cardboard. Repeat the above steps for the remaining stocking.
Your stockings are now ready for wear! These stockings are the perfect accessory for the upcoming festive party season, fulfilling the obligatory Christmas sparkle in a refreshing and unexpected manner.